What is a mobile friendly website design? A simple question with deep ramifications… Also called responsive web design, it refers to a website that is as clear and works just as well on a cell phone than it does on a computer. With the number of people accessing the net from their phone, this is no minor concern. The statistics reveal some surprising facts about this.
The Numbers are Huge!
Now that you know what it is, here are some statistics that prove why it matters:
- 60%+ of internet access is occurring on mobile devices.
- “In early 2014, the number of mobile users accessing the internet surpassed the number of desktop users.”
- 34% of smartphone users go online mostly using their phones, rather than a desktop or laptop computer.
- 40% of people will choose another result if the first one they land on is not mobile friendly.
- 4 in 5 smartphone users access retail content on their device monthly.
People are searching for providers, yes, but more importantly, they are purchasing from websites on their phones.
This is Not About Luck, It is About Strategy
- “as of April 21st, 2015… Google began rewarding sites that were built responsively for multi-device support”
This represents the importance of mobile friendly website design.
- Out of 100 sites analyzed, 11.8% on average use responsive design.
- The percentage of small businesses who don’t have their website optimized for mobile is 91%.
This means there is a huge opportunity, particularly among small businesses that want to get an edge on the competition.
See You Again Soon
- Nearly ¾ of mobile users say they are more likely to revisit a website with a mobile friendly website design.
This makes it very clear. The numbers tell the story. If websites are to compete for marketing dollars, they must be use mobile friendly website design.